Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 19 Judges 11-21


Judges 13:2-7 The Message (MSG) 
 2-5 At that time there was a man named Manoah from Zorah from the tribe of Dan. His wife was barren and childless. The angel of God appeared to her and told her, "I know that you are barren and childless, but you're going to become pregnant and bear a son. But take much care: Drink no wine or beer; eat nothing ritually unclean. You are, in fact, pregnant right now, carrying a son. No razor will touch his head—the boy will be God's Nazirite from the moment of his birth. He will launch the deliverance from Philistine oppression."
 6-7 The woman went to her husband and said, "A man of God came to me. He looked like the angel of God—terror laced with glory! I didn't ask him where he was from and he didn't tell me his name, but he told me, 'You're pregnant. You're going to give birth to a son. Don't drink any wine or beer and eat nothing ritually unclean. The boy will be God's Nazirite from the moment of birth to the day of his death.'"

Most people know the story of Samson. His gift was given because of a promise by his parents to the Angle of the Lord.  They up agreed and upheld the promise they made, and raised him to follow the promise.

But he grew to be arrogant of his blessing, and threw it away by tempting Delilah and telling her his secret.  In stead of adhering to God's plan, he created his own.  And he ended up captured, blinded, and in prison.

I think we all need to take heed to the promises that are set out before us.  We've probably not had an audible conversation like Samson's parents did.  I remember, in a time of turmoil, crying out in pain and agony.  And I honestly thought I heard someone say to me, 'It's all going to work out, trust me'.  I looked up, looking for my husband.  But he wasn't there.  I found him in the basement watching TV.  And you know what, soon after that night, things began to improve.

There have been rules and guidelines that have been set out before us, and it is up to us to follow them.  He has a plan for us, as long as we look to Him, and follow the path set forth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment