Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 13 Deuteronomy 1-8


Deuteronomy 6:4-9 
 4 Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. 8You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
I think these verses nicely sum up my reading for today.

As I am raising my children, my biggest flaw is how do I raise them 'right'.  I was raised in a home where church wasn't a huge priority, but we did attend our weekly CCD classes every year until Confirmation.  I look at my 3 kids, all with different personalities.  S has such a spirit in her, and it's beautiful to watch her pray and worship at home.  But she refuses to participate at church.  Not even a little bit.  She's 'too shy'.  E just doesn't seem interested in church or Sunday School... but when we ask her to pray, she goes into great detail.  J is still young, but will be the first to say that we need family prayer time.

I've listened to radio programs, I've read a few books.  But I don't want to be talked at, I want a conversation with someone - what worked for you, what do you wish you hadn't done, what would you change.

I'd very much like to see more churches offering weekly/monthly discussion groups that bring young parents and parents with grown children together.  I want to become a better parent, and I want to know how to raise my kids to always love and follow The Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment