Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 3: Genesis 29-40


Genesis 29:31-35New American Standard Bible (NASB) 
 31 Now the LORD saw that Leah was unloved, and He opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. 32Leah conceived and bore a son and named him Reuben, for she said, “Because the LORD has seen my affliction; surely now my husband will love me.” 33 Then she conceived again and bore a son and said, “Because the LORD has heard that I am unloved, He has therefore given me this son also.” So she named him Simeon. 34 She conceived again and bore a son and said, “Now this time my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” Therefore he was named Levi. 35 And she conceived again and bore a son and said, “This time I will praise the LORD.” Therefore she named him Judah. Then she stopped bearing.

I've always felt a connection to Leah... I don't know why... They're just something about her story that draws me closer each time I read it.  

I have serious self esteem issues, and grew up thinking everyone hated me.  I know my parents love me, always have.  And I know my husband loves me.  And I had a few really close friends... but when everyone else around you tells you that you're never going to amount to anything or you're a loser or 'go and die'... well regardless of all the positive things in your life, the bad outweighs it. (see Cyber Bullying article)

I've always been in awe that in such terrible circumstances - something Leah had no control over, she found God's favor and was blessed.

We've had to deal with issues in our lives the last few years.  And yet, in all the turmoil, we've still be blessed.  The bonds in my family are stronger, our kids are kind, polite and very humble, and regardless of what's thrown at us, we know it will work out in it's own way.

My favorite books are the "Lowland" series by Liz Curtis Higgs. I think I was just married when I read Thorn in My Heart.  Normally, if I know a book is a part of a series, I wait until the series is done and then read all of them... not this time.

To hear the story of Leah in such a way as this, it really puts a person to the situation that's described in the Bible.  I knew the inevitable outcome, but when you think about the person that Leah (or Leana in 'Thorn') was you wonder what kind of father would put that much pain on their daughter, or a husband who would be so cold.  But our God is bigger.


No comments:

Post a Comment